About half of the marriages in America end up in divorce. For that reason, my husband and I started Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University as a precaution and to prepare us in the long run. We have been checking in with each other on our budget on a regular basis. As Rachel Cruze said in one of the videos,
Budgeting doesn’t restrict you. It’s freedom and permission to spend your money on things that are important to you!
I completely agree. As a couple, we are more intentional with how we spend our money and think twice on purchases. But, not that we’re being more intentional – what fun things can we do without spending money? Details of Creative Activities You Can Do Without Spending Money below:
Our no-spend challenge
We recently decided to have one day a week of no-spend day. Right now, we choose a random day of the week to not spend. I would love for us to have a consistent day of a no-spend day, unfortunately, things always come up and we have to be flexible.
I love the idea of having being disciplined and keeping ourselves on track with our goals and finances. As we diligently follow our budget, we find ourselves not knowing what to do on days when we can’t spend money. I know we’re not the only ones who choose to watch Netflix instead of strolling around temptation mall.
Here are 75 creative activities you can do without spending money:
This is list is perfect for when you’re following a budget, doing a no-spend weekend, strapped for cash, unemployed or a student. There are plenty of things to do without spending money. All it takes is a little bit of creativity and a positive attitude. Sometimes it may seem like not having or spending money is seen negatively, but life isn’t about how much you can cash out. Life is about appreciating what we already have and people around us, it’s cliché but true.
1. Learn astronomy
2. Check American Meteor Society and watch for shooting stars
3. Learn more about your ancestry
4. Create a family tree
5. Plan out your week or weekend
6. Check your credit score for free at Annual Credit Report
7. Figure out how to save more money in the next few days
8. Connect your bank accounts to Mint to budget better
9. Exercise your brain with Luminosity
10. Volunteer your time at the nearest shelter
11. Borrow books from the library
12. Swap books at your neighborhood book box
13. Do some spring cleaning
14. Sell items online at a consignment store or a yard sale
15. Take your dog to a dog park
16. Do some DIY projects with tools and crafts around your place
17. Ride a bike around town
18. Design a card on Canva to use for holidays or events
19. Update your resume on Linkedin
20. Connect with old coworkers and get their recommendations on Linkedin
21. Create a portfolio of your projects for interviews by using Behance
22. Sign up on Upwork to look for a side job
Creative Activities You Can Do Without Spending Money
23. Fill up your photo albums with photos you have
24. Create a scrapbook or collage of your family or
25. Make a vision book on Google Doc
26. Visit a museum on a free day
27. Learn a new skill such as Photoshop or chess
28. Trade clothes or accessories with friends
29. Up your Instagram game and master phone photography
30. Write an encouraging post on your social media
31. Make your lip scrub by using sugar and oil
32. Do the 100 workout challenge like 100 squats or 100 push ups
33. Catch up on sleep, because why not?
34. Do those chores you’ve been putting away
35. Learn how you can maximize your space and rearrange your furniture
36. Plan your meals for the week
37. Pack a picnic with the food you already have at home
38. Write an ebook and sell it on Amazon
39. Journal your thoughts and dreams
40. Write a gratitude list. Check out 5 Ways to be More Grateful.
41. Brainstorm ideas for future dinner parties or events
42. Write out a bucket list for the year
43. Create a 5-year plan of what you want to achieve
44. Set up a plan to follow your dreams. Check out How to Pursue Your Dreams Despite the Distractions.
45. Start a blog about topics you love
46. Start a vlog on Youtube using your smartphone
47. Write a letter to your future self
48. Join a meetup group on a topic you love
49. Go for a hike and see the view from the top
50. Start a morning routine to get you more productive. Check out How to Get Started on Your Morning Routine.
51. Do you already create things? Start a business and sell them on Etsy.
52. Grab free samples from Sephora to test out before committing to buying them
53. Check with your local gym if they offer a free pass
54. Do something kind to other people
55. Catch up with a friend and Marco Polo them
56. Send a sentimental message to a close friend or family member
58. Go to Costco and get some samples
59. Learn a foreign language on Duolingo
60. Read free books on Kindle if you have Amazon Prime
61. Make complicated origami
62. Learn to code for free at CodeAcademy
63. Check your local community calendar for free events
64. Attend a free concert park
65. Go to the beach and build a sandcastle
67. Don’t throw away the avocado pit, plant it
68. If you have a backyard, pick your own fruit
69. Explore a new town and go for a stroll
70. Go rollerblading or skateboarding
71. Organize and delete old or junk emails
73. Experiment with your make up
74. Start a new hairstyle
75. Write out new goals or do a goal check-in. Check out 7 Ways to Achieve Your Goals.
- Budgeting is gives you the freedom to spend your money on things you love not restrict you.
- Have a no-spend challenge is perfect to keep you on track for you budget.
- Sometimes you have to be creative to not spend money.
- Remember, enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Not everything costs money.
I want to hear from you!
What other creative things do you do when you do a spend-free or no spend days?
Related blog posts:
- How to Get Started on Your Morning Routine
- 7 Ways to Achieve Your Goals
- 102 Things to Do When You’re Bored